July 14, 2011

Three Hundred Sixty Six!!!!!!

OM Goodness I can't believe I let the day pass me by!!! Yesterday marked a year that I have been transitioning to natural hair!!! I am so glad that I made it to a year and I haven't really had any setbacks and I have had no regrets about choosing to embark on this journey. It has been so wonderful and full of so much more support and positivity than I ever expected.

As a result of making it this far, I am more confident in my decision to go natural. I'm no longer scared of my natural texture. I have learned how to handle my natural hair, and, while I have only had my hair out of a braid-type style for 4 1/2 months, I feel that I have conquered what I have allowed to defeat me for years. This past week I had a friend, who has recently decided to transition, look at me like I was crazy when I told her I really only comb my hair once to twice a week...when I shampoo and when I co wash. I had to laugh because I remember looking the same way and thinking the same thing the first time I heard it. the only thing I could think was that, as time goes on, and she has more natural hair on her head, her mind will change.

I have been blessed to experience extremely little breakage from what I can tell. When I took out my final batch of kinky twists in March I had my mom both trim and even up my hair a little bit and to do that she had to cut just over an inch or less all over my head. So the processed hair I have is still in good condition and its much further from my scalp today!  I'm still not at the point where I'm ready to chop. I know I have to get there, but I'm not there yet. I will probably end up forcing my own hand in the long run, but I'm not going to do that now. I don't get the itches and fidgety when I think about it as much as I used to, though.....That's what we call improvement!

So anyway, that's it for today's post. I've been thinking about doing some different things with my blog that would lead to more frequent posts, which is a good thing. We'll see how this brainstorming goes. When it happens, you'll know!

Be blessed folks!

No comments: